Click "Follow" up above, on the little bar, to receive more updates on my insignificant time here on Earth. It will be greatly appreciated. And since you took time out of your day to visit my little blog, I think you're pretty amazing.

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Final Meals.

*This is a morbid post. I am STILL trying to decide whether or not I should leave this posted.*

It deals with death, evil, other disturbing topics. Please, seriously, turn back if you do not like the content. I do not want to ruin your day! This did have a rather negative impact on me, but all is well now. 

You have been warned, my lovely readers. 

Reddit surprised me. Yesterday, around 8, I decided to check on the main page for something interesting. Someone was asking for the scariest website they had ever encountered. I opened it up in  another tab, and looked through the options. The community had answered it accordingly.

Before I go on, I looked at some of the responses before I clicked on the link. I wanted to know what I was getting myself into, of course. Many of them had brief descriptions, written by the brave or delirious who had already clicked it. Thanks.

I was familiar with some of the links they put up. More of the mysterious things, sci-fi stuff. The SCP Foundation, for instance. It is not as bad as the other ones, as it mainly deals with containment procedures of certain creatures. There's one that is semi-famous among lovers of the paranormal, such as myself. SCP-173, I think. The cleaners of its containment room must keep eye contact with it at all times. Or it attacks. They have pictures of it floating around.

They posted links to scary stories, which is always disturbingly refreshing. I might as well clear up some things. Yes, I am a fan of "frightening" things. Nothing way out there, mind you, just your average horror stories. No gore, whatsoever, nothing having to do with evil rituals, no sick, twisted things. Just aliens, outer space, dark forests and axe-wielding clowns. I'm what many would consider a lover of tame horror. So even in the little scary community, I'm considered a baby. So that's what one thing in particular creeped me out. Read on, dear reader.

There were discussion on "Deep Web." Deep Web, or /the/ Deep Web is apparently home to some of the sickest things imaginable. One person posted a screenshot of a website where people planned evil events. When I say evil, I mean it.  I've seen a few frightening things on the internet. I thought I was pretty much desensitized to what it could offer. I guess not. "Evil". I'm talking child predators. A damn website with a child predator community. It's not human. It's not morally correct. I wish I hadn't been aware. And this was only a little screenshot. Only the first page of posts. I  looked at one of the usernames and tried to imagine a person behind it. I closed it after that. I don't think I am able to handle that. I never will be.

The last link I clicked on was unsettling. Not as much as the one I just described, but close. It was a chart listing the names of those waiting to be executed, and beside them, a column full of their last meal requests. It's practical. I'm not kidding. Someone decided you are not fit to live anymore, so you might as well get to chose your final meal. I can't believe I am typing this.

Most of them sounded great. Again, I am not, in any way, trying to joke. Large amounts of food. Most likely their favorite. You would do the same, perhaps.

"Chicken fried steak, country gravy, hot buttered corn, mashed potatoes, hot buttered rolls, hot apple pie, vanilla ice cream, tea." Alva Curry.

What made it so eerie was how normal it looked. These are the types of meals many of us have for dinner. It's just… I don't know.

"Two 16 oz. ribeyes, one lb. turkey breast (sliced thin), twelve strips of bacon, two large hamburgers with mayo, onion, and lettuce, two large baked potatoes with butter, sour cream, cheese, and chives, four slices of cheese or one-half pound of grated cheddar cheese, chef salad with blue cheese dressing, two ears of corn on the cob, one pint of mint chocolate chip ice cream, and four vanilla Cokes or Mr. Pibb" Stanley Baker Jr.

One of the larger requests. It was at this point I started to wonder what was going through their minds as they ordered. Whether or not they would really be able to enjoy it. They knew it was their last meal. They knew when they were going to die. I know they must have done something terrible to "deserve" this punishment. But it's just so damn sad to imagine them making their final request.

"None. Last minute he decided to eat a hamburger at his Mother's request." Delbert Teague Jr.

If you are still reading, I'm sorry. Sorry for actually publishing this post. Yes, I do not usually write these sort of things. I said this way back, that I would just write about what was on my mind. This is it. His mother wanted him to eat something. His mother was there with him. Damn it.

"Asked that final meal be provided to a homeless person" Robert Madden.

I do not know what my stance is on capital punishment. Is it really in our power to decide whether or not someone should live or not? Robert Madden gave his final meal to a homeless person. I do not know the crime that lead him here. I do not know the crimes of any of them. That may twist my opinion of all of this. Reading through the chart makes me feel terrible. Then again, I do not know how many people they hurt. And what of the ones who had been wrongly convicted?

"Eucharist - Sacrament." Jonathan Nobles.

I'm going to stop writing about this now.

You're still reading? I don't know what to say. Also, this post is simply a post. That is all. Controversial? Yes, indeed. Disturbing? Yes. I know. This is not an indicator of my current state, no cause for concern, in case anyone was worried. It's what happens when you decide to click on something after you have been warned.  Just more aware of the world, I guess. It's like reality slapped me.

Hm.

I'll follow this post with a more uplifting one, for your sake. I hope this does not negatively affect you in any way. Please understand that my goal was not to make people feel bad.

Until next time, then?

1 comment:

  1. I sometimes worry about what I'm clicking on when I get into reddit. I like horror things, but it's tame compared to that stuff. I may scream at scary movies, I may laugh at them. But horror is different than frightening. And that's what the website with the group of child predators is. It's sick, and frightening, and *real*. That's the biggest scary thing about it in my opinion. I could watch a scary movie about that, and be creeped out. But knowing there are people on the internet who predators. It's different when it's real. When you can click a link and look at their profile.
    The last meals of people isn't as big for me. When I was younger I saw and art show of photographs of the last meals people ordered. I was young, maybe 7 or 8. My brother explained why it was their last meal to me. I think that it's actually really interesting what they pick. The one who had a hamburger because his mother was there. The one who had Eucharist. The one who donated his to a homeless person.
    In my church, we've talked about our personal views on capital punishment. My church doesn't say it's wrong, we're free to think whatever. But I just don't know. I feel like in some cases it might be better than not, but I also feel like it could be worse in those same cases. I just don't know. People have to die no matter what. I just don't think we should kill them. Ever. Not in war, not in self defense, not because they did something to "deserve" it.

    ReplyDelete